If you think you might not have done as well in your A-Levels as you hoped, it’s a good idea to familiarise yourself with the Clearing process in advance of results day. Even if you think you aced your exams, it’s worth having an understanding of Clearing, just in case.
Clearing allows students who didn’t get the results they were hoping for to find a suitable university course. Read our step by step guide to Clearing to ensure you have the knowledge you need to find the course you want.
Clearing – the step by step guide
You can use Clearing to find courses with vacancies. Then it’s time to discuss the course directly with the college or university that provides it. If they’re happy to offer you a place, you can accept it online.
- Check your status in Track. If it says ‘Clearing has started’ or ‘You are in Clearing’ then you’re in Clearing.
- Use the UCAS search tool to look at courses that are available. Vacancies are updated regularly, so keep checking back if you’re looking for something specific. You could also consider studying a different subject.
- Speak to the universities and colleges that you are interested in. If you give them your Clearing number and Personal ID number, they will be able to see your Track application online.
- Gather informal offers over the phone and decide which one you want to accept.
- Add details in Track of the offer that you wish to accept, using the details that you were given on the phone. This counts as your acceptance of the offer, so be sure you are certain before entering the details.
- The college or university will then confirm the offer and you will receive a confirmation letter through Track.
And that’s it! Many students feel panicked by Clearing, but it’s actually a simple process, so just keep your cool and work through the process until you’ve found the perfect course.
Clearing – next steps
Once your course is confirmed, the next step is to find your student accommodation. Most universities require students to apply for their accommodation before A-Level results day, but that doesn’t mean that those who go through Clearing are forced to live in terrible properties. In fact, the rise of student accommodation developments like 800 Bristol Road in Birmingham means that students going through Clearing have more choice than ever before.
800 Bristol Road is a collection of brand new studio apartments offering stylish and luxurious student living. The exclusive facilities include an on-site cinema, dinner party room and residents’ club lounge. There’s a study room for hitting the books, as well as a private desk area in very apartment. There’s also a gym for those times when you want to work your muscles instead of your mind. And all of that is backed up by superb service from an on-site management team who’ll do everything from organising social events to help you settle in to signing for your parcels and booking your taxis.
Such high quality accommodation is available across the UK. Headed north to Newcastle? Then check out Jesmond Apartments. Studying in Southampton? Then London Road Studios is the place to be. Thanks to new generation accommodation providers like Collegiate, you can source an outstanding student apartment with a stylish lifestyle built in, even after going through Clearing. So be ready to book fast on 18 August – first your course and then your accommodation!
For further details, email email@example.com or call 01235 833 642.