Helpful Advice for International Students | Collegiate AC
+44 (0) 1235 833 642

International students

We understand that moving to a new country can be scary. That is why we have put together some information to help you settle into your new home as quickly as possible. Please ensure you speak to one of our friendly staff should you have any questions about anything - they are very happy to help you.

Studying abroad

To help you settle into your new home as quickly as possible, we have put together some information on the basic things you will want to do when you arrive in a new country, such as opening a bank account.

Once you’ve arrived, make sure you speak to our on-site teams, who will be happy to provide local information on how to get around your new city or advise on where to go for everyday essentials.

Opening a bank account

It is not possible to open a UK bank account until you arrive in the UK. However, it is likely to be one of the first things that you do because this is the safest way to keep your money. This will take you at least a week so you must make sure you have enough money for your first few weeks in your new city.

To open a bank account you will need to check individual bank requirements, but most require you to take your passport and introductory documentation from your university detailing your personal details and course of study. Speak to your university student union for more details or go to for advice on budgeting and managing your money or the British Bankers Association for their guide for international students

Student travel reduction cards

If you are exploring the UK while you’re here you will make considerable savings on travel by purchasing a Young Person’s Railcard and/or a Coach Card. The Young Person’s Coach Card can be bought at National Express coach offices or online. This card costs £10 for a year or £25 for three years and gives you 30% off all coach travel in the UK. To get one you simply need proof that you are a student. For further information see

A Young Person’s Railcard costs £30 for one year or £70 for three years, and gives you a third off your rail travel in the UK. To get this you will need proof you are a student, your passport and a passport-size photo. The card can be purchased at any train station ticket office. For further information see

Getting a UK mobile phone

Mobile phones are cheap to buy, but expensive to use, especially if you are calling another country. If you choose a contract the phone will be cheaper or free but make sure you check the monthly payment and call charges before signing any contract and there is often a compulsory monthly charge. You will also need an enrolment letter from your university.

Pay-as-you-go is the no-contract, no credit check, no-commitment, no-monthly bills option. However, you always pay a lot more to buy the initial phone and calls are generally more expensive than on contract mobile phones, but you will not need to provide a proof of enrolment letter from your university.

There will be deals for international calls so make sure you take a look around before rushing into buying a phone.

For information on mobile phone companies and prices see

Guides & info

To try and make the transition to your new student accommodation and university life as easy as possible, we have put together various guides to help you feel more settled.

Read more


Here are some frequently asked questions about Collegiate student accommodation. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, don’t hesitate to contact our friendly on-site concierge staff who are always on hand to help.

Get answers

Useful documents

Here you will find some useful documents should you need them. This includes a sample tenancy agreements and also our cancellation policy.