Frequently asked questions
Algernon Firth provides Leeds’ premier student accommodation and part of that offering is a helpful, friendly service. Our on-site manager is happy to help, or we may have already answered your query in our handy frequently asked questions section.
- All utilities - electric, gas and water - are included in the rent on a ‘fair usage allowance’ with hot water available 24-hours per day.
- Heaters are controlled individually by the tenants in their rooms.
- High-speed internet and Wi-Fi throughout the building, including bedrooms and ethernet cable connection in bedrooms
- Contents insurance - We pay for basic contents cover for you through Endsleigh insurance. Upgrades are available.
- Council Tax – students are exempt from paying council tax, however some councils may charge tenants out of term time, therefore the tenant is liable for any council tax charges that may be incurred.
Our laundry room machines are fully maintained and very simple to use. Machine availability is viewable on-line throught the Circuit Laundry website (www.circuit.co.uk). This means you can view when a machine is available to use and also when your wash has finished!
A top-up card is distributed with welcome packs and cards can be topped up in increments of £10 to the value of £80. The cost of a wash is £2.60 and £1.10 for a dry.
Please see ‘Rents’ for downloadable pricing schedule and dates.
Students will need to provide evidence of a UK based guarantor such as a family member or friend if they wish to pay in instalments; the first one of which must be paid at least 10 days in advance of the tenancy start date.
If students are unable to provide a UK based guarantor, payment will need to be paid a year in advance, in full, 10 days prior to tenancy start dates.
Please let us know at the time of booking. We will always place friends and students from the same university together if possible.
If you’re bringing your bike, you needn’t worry about storage. We offer secure cycle storage at all our locations. Please let a member of the accommodation team know you are bringing your bike here and you will be provided with a form to complete. Please make sure that you always lock your bike. We can’t take responsibility for any loss or damage to it.