- Exeter, Devon, UK
- Full-time, Permanent
About Collegiate AC
Collegiate AC is the UK’s leading operator of superior student accommodation across some of the UK’s top university cities, offering to both students and parents – great value, superb facilities and peace of mind. With our unrivalled record and expertise, Collegiate AC delivers student living,
The foundation for our success is providing the best quality, well-located, safe accommodation that is close to university campuses, transport and local amenities. Our rent includes all bills including insurance, utilities and broadband/Wi-Fi.
A key factor of our success has been the careful development and pro-active management of our buildings.
For more information visit our website: www.collegiate-ac.com
Purpose of the role
The Maintenance Operative will be required to report to the Accommodation Manager and will also work closely with the Assistant Accommodation Manager.The Maintenance Operative is required to provide support and assistance to the Accommodation Manager to ensure that the accommodation buildings, utilities, plant, machinery and equipment are properly maintained, making appropriate recommendations for planned maintenance as required.
In addition the Maintenance Operative will undertake a range of maintenance tasks and duties to support the upkeep of the property, these tasks will be expected to be carried out without direct supervision and to provide a rapid response service to deal with problems/breakdowns.
The candidate will be required to contact and book appropriate contractors and obtain quotes.The Maintenance Operative will need to brief qualified trades personnel and assist tradesmen and supervise when on site as necessary.
The duties of the Maintenance Operative may take place in all areas of the Student Accommodation and will include the following:
- Minor Plumbing – unblocking showers/basins wastes, cleaning shower heads, replacing shower hoses, replacing washers on taps and ball valves, repairing or replacing plugs and chains, repairing or replacing WC seats and lids, unblocking drains, rodding and cleaning waste pipes, cleaning filters on heat recovery units and maintenance tasks of similar nature.
- Minor Electrical – Keeping records of electrical fitments, changing lamps, identifying defects in fixtures and fittings, resetting tripped fuses and replacing lamp holders, lamps, plugs and leads, cleaning extractor fans and maintenance tasks of a similar nature.
- Cleaning all communal areas and the individual rooms as required by the accommodation team.
- Cleaning all student rooms once check out has been done.
- You will also be responsible for cleaning all student rooms when required
- Other Maintenance – Maintaining and repairing fire extinguisher mountings, mirrors, notice boards, shelving, toilet roll holders, cabinets and other fixtures and fittings, repairing faulty locks and door furniture, painting and decorating communal areas, assessing tenant rooms for decorating purposes, the use of portable power tools (drill), maintaining inventory records of any stock items and maintenance tasks of a similar nature.
- Grounds – maintaining the outside of the property including litter picking, sweeping leaves etc. Assisting with disposal of rubbish, keeping the bin store clear of litter on the floor.
- Any adhoc duties within reason to maintain the building.
Health and Safety
Health and Safety matters are an important aspect to the operation of the Student Accommodation for which Collegiate are required to keep comprehensive and accurate records.The use of a computer based Health and Safety system aids in the upkeep of records.
The candidate should have a range of general maintenance skills and competence.
Basic computer skills – not essential as training can be offered.
What we can offer you
Hours of Work:
Based on a 37.5 hours week, and also on call rota.
Move in weekends and checks out weekends are essential weekends that must be worked by the management team.